Thursday, September 25, 2008

let's try slow cooker weekends

While cleaning out my pantry last night I found my slow cooker (refuse to call it crock pot) on the floor. I completely forgot I even had one. Just goes to show how much I use it. I've never really been a fan of the slow cooker, but since its now football season, the idea of not cooking or having a meal waiting after a game is very appealing to me. I think I will try making Sunday's during the Fall and winter months I will try it out.

My team plays a late game Sunday so I thought it could be a wings, dips and sandwiches kinda night. I found a pulled pork recipe on allrecipes.com (one of my fave recipe sites). Seems easy and delish. Hubby will most likely love it. I actually need a new one, mine is old and clashes with my kitchen pantry floor. I really like this one.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Barbecue
5 pound Boneless pork butt or shoulder
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoon chili pepper
cayenne pepper pinch
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 cups BBQ sauce
2 teaspoon salt
1 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups Beef broth

Instructions: Rinse pork and pat dry. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne. Rub into pork on all sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or over night. Cook pork in a slow cooker on low setting 10 hours. Transfer to a cutting board and using 2 forks, shred; discard any large pieces of fat. Return pork to slow cooker. In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce and 3 cups broth; stir into pork and cook 2 hours more.

No comments: