Monday, October 6, 2008

Another yummy wine

Friday I walked into the Wine store near me and with no idea what I was in the mood for. I knew it would be a red, since that's all I drink. I got out my wine list from my Blackberry (yup I have a list) and went to check out the wines. I ended up with Bogle Petite Sirah and am glad I did. Bogle Vineyards is located in California. Normally I am into Australian Shiraz, so this was a break from my norm. Here is a little wine fact. Syrah (Shiraz is what the Aussies call it - same grape), and Petite Sirah are totally different grapes. I assumed they were the same since they sound so similar. Nope, it seems that "Petite Sirah" is actually the grape Durif, which is a cross between Syrah and another grape (completely flaked on the name). So even though Syrah and Petite Sirah may sound similar, they are not and they taste completely different! Ha. A little wine lesson for yah!
ok back to my review, the first thing I noticed when pouring is that this wine is dark - I mean really, really dark. Not the Shiraz color I was expected (duh cause it's not the same!) The 2004 Bogle Petite Sirah is described as "Deep black-purple in color with aromas of blueberry, boysenberry and fennel. Rich and soft in the mouth with blueberry and black pepper flavors finishing with soft, dusty tannins" (huh?). We picked it up for a little under $11 and it was definitely worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

Imagine my perfect Friday night.. great wine, great friends, a clear fall night around a fire pit. What else can you ask for.. well besides s'mores..but that's another night!

No comments: