Thursday, December 18, 2008

Eat your heart out Panera!

Last night I decided to try and make Panera Bread's Turkey Chickpea chili. Well let me just tell you ~ DAMN I am GOOD! It was delicious! My family loved it. I tweaked the recipe just a tad. I used fresh ground turkey, omitted the MSG (vile chemical to use in cooking) and I didn't cook mine as long as this recipe says too. I just loved how they throw a lime in the pot and cook it all together. I will definitely do that with all future chili's. It made such a difference in the taste. I might double up the recipe and make this a slow cooker meal. YUM! If you are a chili lover (Like me) Try it, you will NOT be disappointed!

TURKEY CHICKPEA CHILI
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups water
3 cups or so leftover turkey meat (light and/or dark), tear/shred into 1/2-inch pieces
I used ground turkey meat
1 (1 lb) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
1 (1 lb) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained (I used white kidney beans)
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Ro-Tel)
1/4 cup turkey or chicken broth
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 small lime, cut into quarters (squeeze juice into pot and then throw in)
1 tbsp modified corn starch (mixed in 1/4 cup water)
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt and pepper each (or to taste)
1/4 tsp MSG (optional, for meatier taste)
In a large pot saute onions, carrots, celery in olive oil until onion is transparent. Add 4 cups water to pot. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer on low for 3 hours (I cooked mine for 1.5); stir every hour. Remove the 4 pieces of lime. Makes about 8 bowls

No comments: