Tuesday, March 17, 2009

To friend or not to friend

About 6 months ago I decided to delete my MySpace account. I came to the realization that I wasn't really into it (I still think it's for pervs and teenagers) AND I wasn't really into some of my "friends". I had accepted "friendships" with people that I had no plan to speak to in-real life. I guess I got caught up in the idea of MS, and the fact that I could look at what they were up too. I really don't know why I ever bothered to open an account in the first place. I'm so over it. Around the same time I closed the Myspace account, I joined Facebook. I liked that you didn't have to set up a background, add music and silly images to make yourself look cool. Plus I opened the Facebook account with the notion that I would not extend or accept friend requests unless I truly wanted to be in touch with someone. Now, nearly a 6 months later, I am torn with how to respond to unwanted friend requests. I hate to "ignore" people, but I just don't want to be friends with people just to have my friend count high. Yes, there are people like that. In fact, (GASP)I just might know a few! My plan is to use Facebook to connect with people I actually care to reconnect with. I don't want to "accept" and bring that someone into my life, especially when they make no difference what-so-ever in my life. Harsh? I guess.
So... how do you handle unwanted "friendships"? Are you the type that just accepts any request, the type that accepts them, then deletes later on OR are you like me - picky with the selection in the 1st place?

oh and just one last thing while we are on the Facebook topic. If you add request to add a friend and they accept, say hello. Nothing bugs me more than when someone requests my "friendship" then completes ignores me. I will delete you! Ok now that's harsh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has actually been my 'dilemma' (if you want to call it that) lately. I've kept some requests in 'friend request limbo' as I like to call it because I'm not sure if I want to let them 'in' or not. I let them stay there until I've really made a decision and then I just click on the ignore key. I've also deleted several 'friends' because I think they just wanted to have 'x' amount of friends. Does any of this make sense? LOL! You know, you could always send a message to that person explaining to them why you're ignoring their request. ? :-)