Monday, February 14, 2011

Pretty Pretty Picture Tray

Happy Monday/Valentine's Day! How was your lovely weekend?? Mine was ok.. I was sick :( Friday night and all day Saturday I just laid on the couch with some kind of bug. It wasn't fun, but I did get to watch a few movies and catch up on Grey's. Oh and my fantastic hubby went and got all the crown molding and base molding for the kitchen! He installed it all yesterday. I can't wait to share the pictures. Have I mentioned lately how much I love that man? He is pretty fantastic I must say.
I wanted to share a simple craft project to do for the living room makeover. The coffee table/ottoman was  lacking a little sumin sumin so I decided I a tray would be perfect for it. Mostly because I hate the thought of anyone putting a drink down on the leather. Frugal me thought instead of buying one, let's check to see if I have anything laying around that I could as a tray. And I did. I picked up a "cheese board" from Pottery Barn (sorry not in stores anymore) and started using it as a tray, but it lacked substance. So again, I searched around the house to see what I could use to spruce it up a bit and I found an old picture, the frame was really cool, but the print was ugly .. U-G-L-Y.  A gift from my sweet, loving, well meaning father. It was hidden in a closest because of the ugliness. It actually hurt my eyes. No worries, he doesn't read this blog so I can honestly say how ugly it was. :)
In my true fashion of blogging, I started to spray before I realized I never took a "before" picture. Just imagine this frame with very dark wood with a picture of a few Mexicans at a Fiesta. I love my culture (I really do) but the picture was .. yes, you know.. ugly.
Here is the frame once I remembered, with 1 coat of cream colored spray paint (Valspar's off white gloss).

and here it is with the PB cheese board. Isn't it pretty?  
See the colors in the tray. The oranges, blues and browns? Exactly what I was talking about here.
The Color inspiration for my Living room and Dining room.

I have to tell you this project all came together perfectly. The tray fit perfectly in the middle of the frame. Perfectly I tell yah and since it was going to be used with drinks and candles, the hubby used a few small nails to secure it in place. I added weather stripping over the "feet" to prevent the frame from scratching the leather. Genius if you ask me. It the bottom of the tray so pretty doesn't matter. Protecting the leather does. 
A few other shots 

I'm trying to improve my picture taking and using different angles. Impressive huh? Hardly

I'm joining these linky parties: Craft Couture Monday, Just something I whipped up Monday, Market yourself Monday, Made by You Monday, Sunday Showcase - Under the table and dreaming, Just a Girl, The Tattered Tag, All Thingz Related, Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays, Tuesday's Treasures, Strut Your Stuff , Finding Fabulous, Frugal Friday, DIY Show Off, Amaze me Monday, The Lettered Cottage How To link party, Fab Friday, Feathered Next Friday, Power of Paint, Show and Tell (Blue Cricket), Olivia Renn, Lil Luna Link Party, Thrifty Decor Chick, Whassup Wednesday, Debbiedoos Newbie Party, Censational Girl

19 comments:

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I think it turned out super cute!!! I love that picture and it looks great in the tray :)

Tanyia said...

I agree...very pretty! Great project!

I am stopping by from Market Yourself Monday, at Sumo's I would love to have you check out my project! http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2011/02/quilted-coasters.html

Melanie said...

I've been really wanting to make a few trays lately. This one is so cute and unique! Thanks for sharing. I found you through Made By You Mondays and am now a follower.

Melanie
youmadethat.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Super cute tray! Very creative! Please share at my blog bash K.I.S.S. :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

Donnie said...

That came out really great. Good job.

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Great redo! You sound like me with the picture skillz... I'm like um maybe if I hold the camera this way it won't be a big blur?? Ha! Thank goodness for editing software.

Michelle @ Ten June said...

PS. That is one great hubby to get/install the crown molding! I love handy guys!

Brandi said...

Love it Tana! Way to go for using what you had! I really love the colors in the tray!

Vanessa said...

This tray turned out great! I LOVE the colors! Great job!

Unknown said...

What a cute tray!!! Grat job! I am your newest follower!! Come follow me at http://www.craftycagirl.blogspot.com

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ Such a cute tray- I think it looks great- well done! Thanks for coming by and sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Unknown said...

love the little tray makeover.
im from nj too... piscataway
im your newest follower

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

I LOVE this!! I would love for you to share it at my Linky Party!

*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

xoxokara

DIYbyDesign said...

That picture frame tray is really too cute. I love it. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

Susie said...

Very clever idea! I am visiting you from Debb Piedoos and your 100th follower! Please come visit me!
http://puddlejumpercreations.blogspot.com

emilysnan said...

hiya i am visiting from debbies newbie party and am your newest follower x i love your tray and your creativity in putting it together x tfs and hope to see you at mine sometime x
xmaggiex

Mallory said...

Your tray turned out great! Love the colors. Came over from Debbiedoo's party! New follower :)

Debbiedoos said...

That is adorable! I love it, love that you are trying different camera angles too.

Susan said...

That is really beautiful! I love the colors in the tray. Way to bring life to something you otherwise didn't love.