Monday, November 2, 2009

Slow Cooker Saturday

I decided to do SC day on Saturday instead of Sunday, due to the fact that I knew I would not be able to stop to make dinner, yk with it being Halloween and all. The hubby does the distributing of the candy, so he could not run out for food or do any cooking (do I really want him too?) so it made pretty good sense. I already had boneless chicken breast in the freezer so it was a given that dinner would be chicken (again). How about a version of my "Puerto Rican" stew? I usually make this dish in a regular pot, and wanted to see if I could pull it off in a slow cooker. Well I did, and it was delicious. A hit with the family too. I will definitely make it again. My only fault was no picture of the dish. Next time I promise.
Puerto Rican Stew - Slow cooker style
2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
1 tablespoon Canola oil
2 (.18 ounce) packet sazon seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 large red potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 bunch fresh cilantro (no stems)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
Place chicken in a large bowl and season with adobo seasoning. In a fry pan, coat bottom with a tablespoon of canola oil. brown chicken for 5 minutes on both sides.
Place browned chicken in the slow cooker, and cover with the potato slices. Puree the red pepper, green pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, wine, cumin, and oregano in a blender. Pour over the chicken and add the bay leaves. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
I turned my slow cooker to high the last hour, then served over brown rice.
Enjoy!

No comments: