Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So I baked a cake....

AND cupcakes too! Yes sir - that's right, you read it right - I baked! And here is the crazy part (ok craziER) it was fun and I really enjoyed it. So backing up a bit (for those of you that don't know) .... I don't bake, I just don't. After years of having everything either burn or end up tasting gross, I came to this mature decision that I'm just not a baker.. and I am ok with it. I mean sure I can make a mean brownie - from a box, but bake something from scratch? Why even bother. So imagine my surprise when my youngest child (who was turning 11) asked me to bake her a cake for her birthday. What? Bake? Me? I started to laugh but then noticed she was actually serious! Why would she ask me to do that? Did she enjoy torturing me? She knows I don't bake, or do I? Well I'm surely no Martha Stewart, but I found that I actually did have alot of fun baking this cake. Ok so confession - the cupcakes and the cake were from a box BUT the icing is all me baby. I decided on a Cream Cheese Icing. Seemed simple enough and it actually was - oh and so delicious! Heck I was on such a baking high, that I even colored the icing to match the colors she loves! Now you can call me Martha!

Here is the simple Cream Cheese Icing recipe
1 8oz cream cheese
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup confectionery sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla


Blend together cheese and butter (must be at room temperature), add vanilla. Once this is whipped well with a hand mixer, slowly add the sugar. Blend until whipped. YUM!


The start of my creation
That's scrap paper that I mod podge to cardboard for support and creativity!


The final product

Chocolate cake and confetti cupcakes, both with Cream Cheese Icing
Special thanks to Dawn who helped me put it all together!!!!

4 comments:

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

LOL
Congrats to you 'Martha'!

Love the stand, super cute.
~Amy

Reunion Committee said...

lol why thank you Amy
Tana

Jenny said...

You go, girl! What's next on the baking agenda?

Georgia Girl said...

Oh how cute...I love to bake but I just don't have much time to do it...My big thing lately is using the crock pot. Fast and Quick!