Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Basil Pesto Ice Cubes

Doesn't pesto just scream Summer? It also screams "holy shit I have so much basil I don't know what else to do with it". While cruising on Pinterest, I noticed a bunch of great pins (a hip new way for saying ideas) for pesto ice cubes. Simple, easy and since it just so happens that I have the most amazing garden this year, I figured why not? It's really really quite simple. I mean freakin simple.

This recipe is nothing exciting.. just a basic basil pesto.
2 cups basil leaves, packed
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

Throw the basil, pine nuts, garlic and cheese in food processor. Pulse until combined.
2. Slowly add the olive oil, pulse again. just keep adding olive oil until mixture is smooth. just eyeball it.
3. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. SIMPLE.


Now comes the ice cubes. I hate when pesto turns brown. I read that the easiest way to preserve it was to freeze pesto by using ice cube trays. So after making the pesto, I just added spoonfuls of the mix to the trays, stuck them in the freezer, waited overnight and then popped them out into a ziplock freezer bag.

Now I can just pull out individual portions as I need them. Simple. If you want to make it exciting.. do it while drinking a glass of wine! That tends to make things more fun.  :)

No comments: